Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Zobler goes to Zobüe (“zob-way”)

After our staff meeting Saturday morning, Helen, Hannah, Eden and I headed towards Malawi to spend a weekend with the rest of the Tete crew in Zobue.  Luc and Janet (a married couple of PCVs) live there and had invited us up for a visit.  Since they were lonely up here in Tete before we got here, they were super excited to host us. And by super excited, I mean they had made a Mediterranean feast for lunch that day. Hummus, babbaganush, greek salad, mangos. Incredible.  Also, they have the most adorable house I’ve ever seen! Its like a tiny little African cottage – complete with real furniture and awesome artwork, tiny doors that you have to duck through and a bookshelf full of books. 
Since I was pretty exhausted from the 5am start to the day, I slept through the afternoon downpour and woke up in time to help make dinner. Bean burgers and French fries…not to be outdone by Janet’s carrot cake. SO GOOD.  Things just kept getting better: they had lots of things they wanted to give away (hence how we inherited a potato masher, a muffin tin, a ping pong set – for hotel Moatize of course, some magnetic poetry, gossip magazines, and a kazoo…Helen will likely regret letting me take that). THEN, Janet says they have some extra treats for us.  They stocked up on American candy when they went home for Christmas and made each of us a goodie bag of jelly bellys, candy canes and chocolate bars. ……. Seriously. My favorite people ever.
The next morning, we woke up and ate cinnamon rolls (the woman’s a genius) and had starbucks French press coffee. After that, we set out on a little “hike” up the mountains on the Malawi border.   The airquotes are included because we pulled each other up a few rock faces and we (Hannah and I) crab-walked down the mountain so as not to fall.  “Hike” could also be replaced with “bushwhacking” seeing as the rainy season rapid-growth has taken over the path.  However, we did get a plethora of awesome border rock pictures to make up for it….. and sunburns. I’m wearing sunscreen I swear!
All in all: amazing weekend. Great Tete bonding. Awesome food. Beautiful village. Not as hot as Moatize!

No comments:

Post a Comment