Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Mozambican Derby

That should be read like, “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”  SO. Everyone knows that I absolutely love Kentucky (particularly Louisville) and that I rank the Kentucky Derby right behind Christmas and my Birthday for favorite holidays.  This was the second Derby that I’ve not been in Louisiville for (the first one I missed because of a Saturday morning Organic Chemisty exam – I was not pleased) and honestly I think it was the second most homesick I’ve been here! It sounds silly, but that’s such a cool time in Louisville – and I swear all of Kentucky is just prettier during those first few weeks!

So, my lovelyyy parents, knowing how much I love everything Derby, sent me an entire Derby 137 care package.  Complete with Derby glasses, plates, napkins, balloons, a tablecloth, a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon (a personal favorite) and mint julep syrup – it was prettyyy much a party in a box! So I had all of the Tete crew to Moatize for a Derby party (which, I’m pretty sure was Mozambique’s first ever Kentucky Derby party).  In addition to an abundance of improvised Southern food  (fried green tomatoes, Cajun sweet potato fries, baked cheese grits --- so. Good., sweet tea, mint juleps,  and derby pie) I made everyone pick a horse and explained alllll of the Derby traditions. I showed the pretty pictures of me and my friends and family at Oaks last year in all our pink and big hats…. Then I showed the pictures from when we went mud-diving in the infield on Derby day (which, btw, made me miss the whole Derby136 crew)

From a previously scheduled bet, I had Nehro and Mucho Macho Man (essentially forced upon me) and chose Animal Kingdom for my own horse.  So when, ohhh around 1 am, when I started yelling about how I had all three horses….well I’m sure Hannah and Amanda loved it! I did worry that no one would want to “play” derby with me anymore since it appeared that I rigged the betting somehow BUT I think the food and overall excitement won them over….. PCMoz goes to Derby, 2013!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment