With no luck finding a new acceptable housing option – Helen and I have committed to moving sites and teaching at the Cateme Secondary School next year. Even though we’ve fought this moment since March, we eventually gave in and agreed to move. Fortunately, Cateme is only 30 k from Moatize so we’ll be able to visit AND keep our same friends/support group! Our new school is brand new and apparently beautiful. Cateme itself is a pretty interesting place – a few years back , one of the huge Brazilian mines wanted to mine a part of Moatize where a village existed. Being the super-power that they are, the company planned and built a new village and transplanted all of the displaced residents. And that’s where we’re headed! We’ll live in teacher housing on the school campus (no more hour commute!!!) and are moving there at the end of November. Obviously, I’m crushed to leave the school and community I’ve integrated into here and I can’t help but feel like next year will be “year 1, round 2” as opposed to “year 2.” BUT. I’m excited to try it all again! I’ll certainly have a lot of advantages having opened up a new site here in Moatize.
The school year ended relatively calmly. Aside from chasing down failing students and giving them a “last chance” test to prove they should pass (most of them shouldn’t …. I mean, you don’t know what the pronoun “I” means?! We’ve got problems, kid) and announcing our official departure – summer break came with ease. Everyone needs a break J
We had a lovely lunch with Crispen’s (one of my little welder) family. He’s one of my favorite students and, as an orphan, was taken in by his aunt and uncle. His “sisters” (who are really cousins) prepared quite a feast for us! We assured his aunt and uncle that he’s a good student and watched about an hour of home video of a cousins wedding (complete with footage of Crispen – who ripped his pants dancing too much at the reception… the kid’s a riot! I’m going to miss him next year). Helen and I left very full, carrying an offering of a pumpkin, and an invitation back anytime. Mozambican hospitality gives the South a run for its money.
No comments:
Post a Comment