At the end of the trimester, instead of giving each
individual student a report card, the director of each class writes out a giant
class report card. Grades for all
12 subjects and for all students are tediously handwritten on a large poster
that is then hung somewhere in the school (can you imagine what would happen if
someone tried that in the US? Just posted every grade for everyone to see?
Yeah, it wouldn’t fly).
I think I’ve explained this before, but I’ll say it
again. Here in Mozambique, we
grade things on a scale of 20 (not 100 like in the States) and a passing grade
is 10 and above. So essentially, you just have to get 50% to pass a
subject. To pass trimester, a
student must have no more that 2 negative grades (“negative” meaning under 10)
above an 8. For example, a student
with an 8 in English and an 8 in Chemistry can still be considered passing if
all other grades are above 10. BUT someone with a 7 in History and a 9 in
Geography is considered failing.
This year, for the first time, I had to preside over a
“conselho” for my class. This
consisted of me, locking myself in a classroom with 3 other teachers who give
classes to my 9B students. Along with individual grade sheets from every
teacher, my giant poster of grades, and our class book, this team of teachers
had to discuss every student to decide who passed the trimester and who
failed.
There were a few reasons this will go down as one of my
least favorite experiences as a teacher here. First of all, general lack of
technology. We’re talking about
handwritten posters here people. That means 57 students with 12 grades each –
that first must me written in pencil to avoid mistakes, and then copied over in
pen to make it oh so official. And, its not just one poster. Each DT has to make a second one as
well. AND, all of that information
has to be copied into the class book (pencil first, obviously…then pen, BLUE
pen. No other color). So to wrap up my petty complaining – I thought my right
arm was going to fall off and I had a headache from looking at endless columns
of numbers.
Then, after about 5 hours locked in that classroom with my
fellow teachers, we finally calculated the overall percentage of students in my
class who were passing. It was a whopping 35%. Woof. If that
wasn’t upsetting enough, our Ped Director (who is similar to an assistant
principal) came in to tell us that no one was leaving until we had at least a
50% passing rate. Then, I had to
go through and change these kids’ grades so that more of them would pass. And
you wonder why there are a significant number of 9th graders that
can’t read? This is it. Some teacher had to just make stuff up so that they
didn’t lose their job. God forbid
we send in the real numbers to the people in charge. Sooooo, yeah, that was all
types of depressing.
So. To not end on a completely negative note, I was really
impressed with a few of the teachers who worked with me. They were just as
upset about the state of the education system as I was – and I found that
incredibly refreshing and to be honest, I was surprised by it. And yet, in a
few months I’ll return to a country where most people are ignorant to how
incredibly lucky they are – and my colleagues here will be left to deal with
the disappointment of this broken system and the challenge of how to educate
their own children…….. Well hey, what do ya know? That turned out to be
negative anyway, didn’t it?!
Bring it on 2nd trimester, lets try this again…
No comments:
Post a Comment