Sunday, July 8, 2012

Things I love...


Whenever I come across a string of particularly frustrating days – I always try to remember the things I love about Mozambique.  Just the little things that make me smile…. I decided I would finally write them down. Here is my growing list of things to remember when I’m having a bad day…


I love walking to the market in Cateme hearing “good morning, teacher” at least 20 times – and often from people who aren’t my students.

I love that when you pass someone eating – dinner or just a snack, they will ask you to sit down and join them – even if you’ve never met them.

I love knowing what fruit is in season because I can see them on every tree and they’re pilled high in the market…. And I love knowing that I should eat as many of them as I can, because soon, they’ll be gone and I’ll be wishing I had eaten more of
them.

I love that when good music comes on, people can’t help but to dance – no matter where they are.

I love the way my students giggle back when I laugh during class.

I love that the majority of people in Cateme greet Stella by name and say how much she’s growing.

I love when I spot a Mozambican man with a baby tied to his back … most men never even pick up their babies.

I love watching the sunrise and set everyday…. I like watching it come up while im on my morning run and set out the backyard while I cook dinner.

I love grading tests and coming across one – and just thinking YES! Beautiful. You understand! Thank you.

I love that – even after I moved out of Moatize – people there still know my name and ask about Cateme.

I love seeing old students and have them tell me they miss having me and Helen as teachers.

I love watching the kids play soccer barefoot in the field behind our house and
knowing that without shoes and a real ball they’re probably having more fun that the majority of kids playing little league at home.

I love that teenage boys walk around holding hands or with their fingers hooked together – just bro-ing out Moz style…

I love when I hear one of my JUNTOS kids say something profound and hopefull… like, “we need to explain to the people in the community how to prevent cholera”

I love how the ladies in the market stack their produce in perfect little, colorful piles.

I love thinking that one day, 10 years from now, my students might meet another Peace Corps volunteer – and they’ll probably ask if that person knows Teacher Carolina.

I love that when you call someone’s name, they immediately respond with your name as a question. Like this – mother: “Paulo!” … Paulo: “Mama?!”… it’s a million times cuter that responding with “what?”


No comments:

Post a Comment