The day of the big party was last Friday. Some of the professors told Helen and I that we needed to show up early to help cook before Mass – but when we arrived, we were quickly dismissed and left to ...sit. Shocking. I’m pretty sure there was serious Mozambican women (profs and student) cooking going on and we were going to slow their roll. So we were sent to “brincar” (play) with the boys. Oh the joys of being a foreign woman here – no one is sure where we’re supposed to “fit in.”
Anyways. To start the day, we had a nice Mass with lots of visiting Padres, awesome songs (that I couldn’t even follow along with because they were in the local dialect) and – of course – dancing. Then, we had a little snack break before the student vs. prof soccer game. The students won 4-1…. Because, well, they’re awesome! And what would a Mozambican party be without excessive amounts of music and dancing?! We had a huge sound system and DJ brought it for the students (I will cease to be amazed at how much these kids love to dance! They can’t control themselves!).
Despite having an overly detailed schedule of the days activities – we (obviously) became seriously delayed. Lunch, which was supposed to be served at 1:30, was at 3:30 – thus cutting out ALL of the student performances and field day games. However, the food was delicious. Standard party procedures are that guests must bring their own plate, cup, ect to any even where food is served. And even though I bring my plate with out fail (duh)– there are always some kids that forget. Then I feel guilty that I’m going to eat and one my kids isn’t – so MY standard party procedure is now to bring plate, give said plate to teenage boy who can eat 3 times more than me, and then pick off someone else’s plate with my spoon (because I probably gave away my fork too).
Monday morning, with the party behind us, we geared up for the last two weeks of the semester. Even though its not Rhodes-finals-intense, its still a huge burst of work. Mostly because I have an entire week of tests to give (which inevitably ends with me being SO frustrated) and then grade. Plus, I have to hunt down 8 million kids to get them to do their work. We’re working on responsibility – its apparently a slow lesson to learn…. BUT I was informed that at the end of August, we celebrate the feast of Dom Bosco --- with another partyyy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment