I think I mentioned the “REDES weekend” in a previous post – but basically, REDES is a group for high school aged girls in Mozambique that promotes healthy and successful futures. It was a Peace Corps initiated group that has existed nationwide for some years now. Even though my school is mostly boys, I thought that the girls at Dom Bosco could really benefit from a program like this. So when I offered to host a weekend “troca” for the four groups in Tete (like a mini conference) at our school, I figured it would be a good way to get the ball rolling. But ohhhhh the joys of hosting 50 people for a weekend!
Helen and I did a pretty good job of getting all of our shopping done the weekend before everyone arrived. All of our market friends were moreee that happy to help with our food needs (“we need 200 pieces of bread” “Two, you usually buy two” “Yes, I know, but I need two HUNDRED”). So the supplies took over our dining room as tens of kilos of rice and beans and whatnot piled up.
Naturally, the Friday that every one was to arrive, I overslept for my class (way to start the day Audrey) and ran out the door without washing my face and with 3 kilos of dried fish in my backpack. (You know how in cartoons there’s a dog with a steak on a fishing pole and the pole is tied to his back? So he’s constantly chasing a steak that’s dangling in front of his nose? That was me, but in reverse. I kept walking faster and faster trying to escape the smell of dried fish, but it was chasing me on my back!) Anyways, I made it to class, dropped off the fish and headed home to take a bath before I had to clean the conference room where we were staying and having our activities.
Figuring things could only go up from there – Helen and I went back to school to help the girls clean. They immediately sassed me about the condition of the dried fish – apparently it can not be left in a plastic bag (let alone 5 plastic bags) because it will become moist and spoil. Right, of course – I clearly have no idea what I’m doing with this fish. Which was very unfortunate, seeing as the guy I was paying to cook for us for the weekend was no where to be found. AND, the gem that he is, not only did he leave, he left with the keys to all of the kitchen supplies.
So I’m running around our school (which I’m realizing is giant) trying to find someone to help with the food situation. The other 40 people should be arriving now and we need to get start the dinner process. I happen to run into our director on his way out, and he informs me that the water has been shut off to our entire school. Are you kidding me?! I have 50 people living at this school for the weekend, and we don’t have water? How are we going to cook this food? How are they going to take baths (God knows they love taking baths)? These girls have been on a chapa for 4 hours and I don’t have water for them to drink?! (my frustration level is now seriously on the rise).
So after furiously begging the Padres to help me (sidenote : the Bishop has showed up for a weekend visit – unexpectedly. So they, too, were in way over their heads), and being denied I had an unfortunate display of emotion. I don’t think anyone reallyyy knows what to do with a crying girl – let alone a crying American girl in front of her older, male, Mozambican colleagues. Anyways, my only solution to the water problem was to send my own girls out with 20L jugs to find and carry water back to the school. They were not thrilled, to say the least, but they pulled through! AND, the other Mozambican women that were there whipped some dinner for everyone – sans hired-cook. Way to go girls of Mozambique! Ha!
Since we just had one giant conference room to use for the weekend, everyone brought their own straw mat and camped out on the floor. It was vaguely reminiscent of a grade school slumber party, and I literally thought they (and as a result, everyone) would NEVER sleep. But they did, and in typical Mozambican form were up at 5 am. Little did they know that since they were the first to wake up, they were the lucky ones who got to carry water! ……. Not. They were really tired of me dragging them out to get water. I was tired of it too.
The weekend ended up being a huge success for all of the girls. They made amazing purses out of capulanas, had lessons on sexual health, HIV/AIDS and pregnancy (which is extremely beneficial for them), played soccer and basketball, and planned their “beautiful and healthy futures.” We ate delicious food. Each group performed some bad ass dances - in the dark, because the electricity went out - and had an all out dance party.
Even though it was a logistical NIGHTMARE (I couldn’t bend the fingers on my hands until Wednesday) and I don’t think I’ve ever been so exhausted, it was worth it knowing that the girls who participated loved it!
PS. Did you know that the dancing in Beyonce’s new video for “run the world girls” is inspired by a Mozambican dance group?! They can danceee!!
No comments:
Post a Comment